Saturday, May 7, 2011

Sip and Listen

 

It’s officially Derby weekend, and you know what that means -- all things bourbon, prep and hats galore. While I may not fall into the prep category I can certainly get on board with any party where the theme is dressing in your Sunday best and wearing big fancy hats whilst sipping on Juleps. Not sure if I have ever mentioned it but I adore hats, my collection grows by the month, and I would love to sport some of the below.

Derby1Derby4Derby3

Derby2Derby5

Images via pinterest.com

I am sure you could have already guessed but the cocktail of the week is none other than the infamous Mint Julep. I swear avid drinkers of these must have livers of steel because this is a stout drink but surely one that will have you wishing you were lining up for the races.

Julep1Julep2

Images via pinterest.com

Ingredients

  • 10 mint leaves, plus a sprig for garnish
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons superfine sugar
  • Seltzer Water
  • Crushed Ice
  • 2 1/2 ounces Kentucky bourbon whiskey

Prep

Place the mint leaves in the bottom of an old-fashioned glass (julep glass preferably) and top with the sugar. Muddle these together until the leaves begin to break down. Add a splash of seltzer water, fill the glass 3/4 full with crushed ice, and add the bourbon. Top with another splash of seltzer, stir, and garnish with a sprig of mint. Serve immediately.

This song is a smidge random (hence the awesomely old video below) but it takes me to a very southern and summery place. To the Races!

1 comment:

  1. I do not recall the Julep, but was the pool worthy? Thank you for bringing Matt down for the weekend. M and B

    ReplyDelete